Being busy with my items for De Cirkel van Kleding project I had not so much time for this Burda Style Member Model Challenge: Asymmetric Designer Dress. The deadline was 2nd July.
I have manged to finish it on time – however I am not so pleased with the final result. I was hesitated if I should submit it so I have checked the Burda Style website for other entries. Firstly I have noticed there were only 2 entries, secondly – the deadline is extended till 16th of July! Still chance to join!
This means I still can make few fixes and better pictures and post this dress on website.
Even though this is not my type of dresses I like the idea. I have made it from chiffon (polyester or viscose) and it is underlined with very fine cotton/viscose fabric. What I found strange in this pattern is the shoulder seam and set-in of the sleeve. It is very high. The skirt has no openings/splits – thus not so easy to walk.
If I would make this dress ever again I will for sure adjust the shoulder and make small splits at the side seams of the dress – maybe on the left side with godet, or both sides with inverted pleats. I would probably underlined only top – or I would made simple loos lining. Firt for sure proper muslin.
Anyone making this dress as well? What’s your experience with this model?
With my new sewing machine I could in the end start to work on my piece for the Cirkel van Kleding project.
From 3 shorts I have decided to make a dress – summer dress.
For some time I was planning to make a muslin for the Butterick B5917 so why not to use this opportunity and create something incorporating this pattern.
There was not so much sewing this week-end. I was working on Saturday and then travel to my mother. I am back in PL in Wejherowo.
The weather on Sunday was beautiful – it was warm and sunny. My sister came to visit my mother as well and we decided to have a little walk in a park.
It was a perfect day to wear my new summer dress 🙂
After finishing the Vintage wrap top I picked up one of the UFO projects.
The red summer dress based on Vogue dress 8648 (you may read more about it here).
I have finished the bodice – all seams are catch-stitched. I used silk organza as interfacing and stabilizer. I am ready for the next step.
And then while attaching the upper bodice to the waist band I have noticed a very strange thing…
It is not so easy to pick up again work left so suddenly. The weather is still sunny and it would be great to wear this dress this summer – upcoming holidays.
The question is – what will we do with our holidays? I would like to go for a week to my mother – these first weeks home are important for her to get better. This is the only week we can go somewhere together so it would be nice to find a place – maybe in Poland – nearby my mom. Not so easy choice …. let’s think about it.
I have completely forgotten to share with you that in the end my ordered patterns from Vogue (McCall’s en Butterick as well) have arrived!
I love it! I will be able to update my wardrobe with some missing essentials, e.g. trench coat. Pity that few of ordered patterns were already out of stock …
Now I will need to look for the fabrics. I love it!
Well… it is still raining in the Netherlands. Actually it is a very good weather to go on with the sewing projects. The weather is not tempting to sit outside in the sun and enjoy warm, summer afternoons.
Maybe I will in the end pick up on my vpll 1912 project project. Maybe I will prepare myself for holidays and make more summer tops and dresses.
At this moment I am working on a simple dress. I have made a muslin with a fabric which probably I could call ‘vintage’ as it was bought by my mother at least 25 year ago. It is linen with printed flowers on the black (or very dark blue ) background.
I am glad I have done the muslin as I discovered some ‘discrepancies’ which I could correct. This muslin I will use as a ‘home dress’ – for future summer days 😉
I have used basic bodice and skirt block to make this basic one piece dress. It looked easy but it was not so… the front dress pattern was actually easier to make the back.
The back of the dress I had to make twice – both the pattern and the fabric. But that’s why we make muslin – to achieve perfect fit.
It was a very good exercise!
I will update this post with the finished muslin dress soon.
Here is finished one piece fitting dress. I wanted to put it on however I have so may sweaters on me to keep me warm (substitute for summer) that I decided to use my ‘second me’.
I will now make a muslin of two pieces dress – it will be very useful for all vintage garments.
I promised myself to first finish started projects and buy fabric after I am ready. But I could not resist. I came across this online shop with fabrics and notions and I fall in love with it. So I ordered it – together with suggested threads and zipper. Nice service. Hey! There is more here…